Saturday, September 20, 2008

Normal?


A sculpture by a guy named "Nick Normal" apparently. I think this is interesting for a few reasons, and maybe not entirely the ones intended by the creator. I like the use of reconstructing the peice through a lense and some basic photo manipulations. Then to address the piece itself I think it makes use of the materials well, in an efficiency sort of way that I think comes from working from a scrap pile or found objects, in this case "Nick" found the wood scrap bin and worked from a quiver of choices allready made, in that sense the collage effect of the photo tends to reinforce this assemblage. I also like the perhaps unintended poitrait of his regurgitating copier and home made ladder. Nice blue tiles too. This could also be a poitrait of what is conspicuously missing. This peice looks like a critter feeder. Six foot tall squirrell maybe? I,m not too sure but I think this stuff might come under what is being called slacker aesthetic...? I might have made that up?

No comments: